Thursday, December 10, 2015

Blog Assignment #7 Final Reflection

From this course I really learned how to find the creative side out of any journalistic topic. I also learned how to show more instead of telling. I feel like I can really apply what I learned in this class into any future articles I work on. My favorite piece is the first assignment we worked on. The following is my favorite passage because it was the first time in the class where i felt I wrote freely and with ease.


Headphones on:
It's too late to go back so, I walk down 136th St. and walk by  a group of vegetable and fruit stands. Five short Hispanic women in their 50's, reminiscent of my own mother,  are already flocked around the avocados as if by habit. Some are squeezing the vegetable(fruit?) others are shaking the avocados by their ears as if expecting the avocados to talk. I swerve around a couple of people and finally get to the1 train station and I hear the train roar into the station. I sprint downstairs in a hurry like a rat carrying a pizza slice. I go to the MetroCard machine to buy a MetroCard. I feel the train rushing me but my lifetime of MTA experience helps keep me composed.

Start
English
Metrocard
Refill your card
$10.00
ATM Card
Enter Pin
No receipt
I casually walk to the turnstile as if not to scare the train away. I swipe my card
Please swipe again.
Swipe.
Please swipe again.
Swipe!!!
Third times a charm and I walk into a cart, squeezing past two people blocking the door so I can get to the other side and lean on the closed doors.

I hope to continue to revise the piece and maybe even expand it into a full story.

No comments:

Post a Comment